Court hears of Trump golf club urination

A grandmother has told a court she was “shocked” to find out she was filmed while urinating on US President Donald Trump’s Aberdeenshire golf course.

长沙夜网

Carol Rohan Beyts is pursuing a damages claim against Trump International, claiming staff at the Menie estate course breached data protection laws by recording her.

The 62-year-old is a long-term campaigner against the course and told a small claims hearing at Edinburgh Sheriff Court she was left “slightly paranoid” about urinating outdoors.

She told the court she met a fellow campaigner for a walk at the course in April 2016.

Beyts said she “needed urgently to go to the toilet” and after checking no one could see went in the dunes before continuing her walk.

A staff vehicle drew up and a man got out and started taking photos, who she later discovered was photographer Colin Rennie.

Beyts said the course manager was there and she and her friend were asked their opinion about the course in a “polite” exchange, and told them it was “in the wrong place” before heading on.

Three days later, two police officers arrested her at her home for public urination.

“I was shocked. I couldn’t believe this was happening. I was shocked not because of the criminal charge but because of the police coming to my door for what was quite a trivial incident.”

She assumed she had been caught on CCTV but was later told by police that three men – two staff and a visitor – had filmed her on mobiles.

She said she now finds it “more difficult” to go the toilet outside when on multi-day camping trips.

She said she had opposed Trump’s course due to concerns over environmental damage, at one stage leading a protest march, but had always done so legally.

Rocky flood peak could linger for days

Some homes in low-lying parts of Rockhampton are already being surrounded by water but residents have been warned the eventual flood peak could linger for days.

长沙夜网

The Bureau of Meteorology predicts the Fitzroy River will peak at nine metres in the central Queensland city on Thursday morning, down on the initial forecast of a 9.4m peak on Wednesday.

On Tuesday morning the river was at 7.6m and climbing slowly, with the city likely to see the major flood level of 8.5m later in the day.

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said the latest advice suggested the 9m peak would linger in the region for about 48 hours “if not a bit longer”.

Authorities are expecting water to enter more than 1000 homes, with just over 200 having water over their floorboards.

“We’re already seeing the waters come through the Fitzroy, they’re starting to encroach,” Ms Palaszczuk said on Tuesday.

Some low-lying parts of the city, especially around the suburb of Berserker, have had temporary flood levees built to protect homes from the water.

But other suburbs, in particular Depot Hill on the other side of the river, will have to face the full brunt of the Fitzroy at its height.

District disaster co-ordinator Superintendent Ron Van Saane said they were happy the peak had been revised but weren’t taking anything for granted.

“By no means are we out of the scrub with this,” he said.

“It’s still going to be a major flood and we still have a lot to do.”

The airport closed just after midday on Monday and will remain closed until at least the weekend.

Rockhampton won’t be completely cut off like in previous floods though, with the southern Yeppen crossing remaining open and travellers being diverted to Gladstone airport for flights.

Locals spent Monday filling sandbags as the Fitzoy River’s flow began to strengthen following Cyclone Debbie, with some taking a break for a beer at a hotel sharing the river’s name.

It also appeared the flood conditions claimed wildlife deaths in the central Queensland city after a kangaroo carrying a joey was struck in the CBD on Tuesday morning.

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull said “considerable resources” had been diverted to the city, which was undoubtedly on the cusp of a “tough time”.

Meanwhile, a “mud army” of volunteers has gathered in southeast Queensland to help with the clean-up in the Logan and Beenleigh areas, which were hit by flooding late last week.

Last week’s flooding claimed at least one life, 77-year-old Nelson Raebel from Eagleby, but three others remain missing: a 65-year-old man who was walking in Lamington National Park, a 50-year-old David Heidemann from Mondure man and 58-year-old John Frost from Mount Pleasant in Mackay.

ROCKHAMPTON FLOOD FORECAST IN NUMBERS:

– Water expected to enter 1809 residences

– Of those, 217 will have water over floorboards

– Water expected to enter 547 commercial properties

– Of those, 120 water above floorboards

Australians don’t eat enough fruit and vegetables: Study

Australians are not eating enough fruit and vegetables, according to a study commissioned by the nation’s horticulture industry.

长沙夜网

The study examined the eating habits of almost 150,000 people and found most fail to consume the recommended daily amount of fruit and vegetables.

Most of those surveyed did not eat two serves of fruit and five serves of vegetables recommended every day.

The CSIRO’s Professor Manny Noakes, a co-author of the report, said the survey suggests few people are meeting those guidelines.

“Only one in five people are meeting the recommended servings of two fruits and five vegetables a day,” he said.

“And that’s particularly the case for people who are younger, (who) tend to do a lot worse.

“Also, if you’re male, you tend to do a lot worse as well.”

The study was commissioned by Horticultural Innovation Australia, a marketing and research organisation for Australia’s fruit and vegetable growers.

David Moore, the general manager of research, marketing and investment for Horticultural Innovation Australia, said there is no good reason for Australians to fall short of the recommended intake.

“Fruit and vegetables in Australia, when you look at them globally, are relatively cheap,” he said.

“We grow some of the world’s safest and highest-quality fruits and vegetables in Australia, and we’re really in a quite privileged position.

“Shortages are rare, quality is excellent, availability is excellent, so there’s no real reason why every household shouldn’t really try to incorporate more fruits and vegetables into their daily consumption.”

Rebecca Jenkin said she lost weight and has more energy after increasing her intake of fruit and vegetables, adding that it was not difficult to make the change.

“Fast food isn’t that fast. You’ve got to go out and get it. You’ve got to wait for it,” she said.

 “It’s not hard to steam some vegies in a saucepan or whatever. And, really, there are lots of things you can do – just grab a bag of salad on your way home from work at the supermarket, or I go to the green grocer and buy a box of vegies.

“(It is) much, much cheaper than … [going to] grab some convenient takeaway, or so-called convenient takeaway.” 

Professor Noakes said people wanting to increase their intake could look at Asian, Greek and Italian dishes, which are laden with vegetables.  

“Different ethnic styles of eating, such as Asian cooking, Greek meals, some Italian meals, generally tend to have a lot more vegetables as part of the meal,” he said.

“So the integration of those different ethnicities in our cuisine is a really, really positive thing. So, if you’re going to a Chinese restaurant, stir fry is a pretty good way of getting a lot of fruits and vegies, too.”

RELATED:

Less Hazelwood barra on fishers’ plates

Children eating barramundi from a Victorian power station’s pondage have been told to cut their consumption by up to 83 per cent.

长沙夜网

Food Standards Australia New Zealand recently revised health guidelines for per- and poly- fluoroalkyl substances (PFAS), a group of manufactured chemicals found in the fish in Hazelwood’s pondage.

PFAS is also used in the manufacture of some non-stick cookware and in some types of firefighting foam.

While previously told eating Hazelwood barramundi two to three times a week was fine, children are now advised not to consume more than one serving of 75 grams a fortnight.

Adults have ben told to cut their consumption from three to one time a week, at 150g a serve.

Environment Protection Authority Victoria says there is no consistent evidence PFAS are harmful to human health.

“While the revised health-based guideline values has resulted in a change to fish consumption advice, it does not change our understanding of the health effects of PFAS,” the EPA said in a statement.

“There is no reason to expect that consumption of barramundi from Hazelwood Pondage would lead to any specific illness or adverse health effects.”

Native to the warm waters of Australia’s far north, 1600 barramundi were put into the cooling pond in April last year at a cost of $150,000.

The fishery opened in December.

Stormwater and treated waste water from the mine and power station supply the pond, which was kept at a minimum 22C all year before the plant shut down last week.

Fisheries Victoria is looking into the feasibility of using geothermal water to sustain the barramundi fishery and what social and economic impact the fishery has had on the region.